21 December 2011

It's been over a month and a half since I posted anything.  Oops.

If you would like an explanation for my absence, read this.  Except in my case, I also got sick twice, and I didn't do much interneting because our connection was so pitifully slow.  My downward procrastination spiral was worsened by the fact that I couldn't really interact with anyone back home.

So anyway, here are a couple things that have happened since Halloween.

Chris and I went on a snorkeling trip to Scott's Head...



and Champagne Bay...


The snorkeling at Champagne Bay was one of the coolest things I have ever done in my entire life.  I won't go into detail now, partially because I have so many other things to cover, but also because we might go back before next semester starts.  I didn't take many pictures that day because I had a terrible stomach ache for pretty much the whole time.

There were some HUGE flowers at Champagne Bay.  Look how big they are compared to Chris' head.


Let's see... what else?

Chris was inducted into his fraternity on Thanksgiving.  They taught him a secret handshake.


At the induction ceremony there was a catered dinner.  We were hoping for turkey and all the normal Thanksgiving fixins, but it was just a random bunch of dishes that were mostly gross.  Next year I'm going to cook up the whole feast myself.  We'll probably feed Chris' study group and maybe some other spouses.

We saw a guy cover "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" by the Flaming Lips at open mic night as we ate dinner.  There was also a guy who played the accordian and sang some stuff that reminded me of the Decemberists.  Things I never thought I'd see on this island...

I found another ginormous iguana.


I went to a Christmas cookie party and decorated some really sad sugar cookies.  The one that looks like a feathery question mark was a goose with coconut feathers.


After I got sick for the second time in three weeks (with a pretty terrible flu, no less), Chris baked me a "get well cake."  Three layers, from scratch.  This is why I have the best guy of all time.  Well, one of many reasons.


The more important updates in my life don't come with pictures, so sorry about the rest of this post.

Chris passed his first semester at Ross, and he currently has a 4.0.  Isn't that impressive?  Next semester starts January 9th, so he has a lot of free time... to start pre-studying neurology.  Second semester is supposed to be harder than first.

We moved to a new apartment, which is about a four minute walk to main campus, which is about 400% closer than we used to be.  Our new place is amazing.  Nothing is broken, there are no bugs and it doesn't smell like mildew!  The internet keeps going out, but overall it's a vast improvement.  I'll take pictures and post them within the next few days.  We're still trying to get the place decorated and we need to run a few errands, like get a new propane tank.

Next semester I'll be the vice president for the Ross Spouses Organization.  I was hesitant to agree to it, but there was a severe shortage on volunteers.  I'm still not sure what being the VP entails, other than doing anything the prez doesn't get to.  I guess I will figure it out.

Also, next week I'll be serving food to the incoming first semester students when they arrive from the airport.  I have to make an absurd amount of spaghetti noodles (like 60-70 cups) and help answer questions and try not to scare anyone off with Dominica horror stories.  I get paid for this, which is obviously the motivation to participate.  I'm becoming a master of odd jobs, as it's the only way for me to make any money.

I'll stop here for now.  New post before Christmas?  Hopefully...