24 February 2012

Where have I been?

About a month ago my laptop slid off the arm of our couch and crashed onto the floor.  The fall seemed like no big deal until I tried to plug in the power cord and realized the DC input jack had broken.  A computer is no good without a way to power up.

I made some phone calls to try to find someone who could fix it.  Everyone said they could give it a shot but had never worked with that brand of laptop before, which didn't exactly inspire confidence.  Getting electronics fixed in Dominica is not just as simple as driving to the nearest Best Buy and enlisting the help of computer nerds.  I'd either have to drop my laptop off at a tiny dirty shack with someone of unknown qualifications whose accent I could barely understand, or have it shipped off to god knows where - without knowing if it would come back repaired.  No thanks.  I'll wait until I'm stateside.

In the meantime, I've been using Chris' netbook..  It's not so bad except it's difficult to type on, hence the lack of posts.  Almost all of my music was backed up on an external hard drive, so I'm not missing much.

It helps that my iPad finally came in the mail too.  Now that it's here, I'm not sure how I ever lived without it.  Video, internet, books, and games all in one?  It's exactly what I need as an unemployed person without job prospects.  Sometimes I sit down with it and when I finally come up for air it's four hours later and I have no idea what I just did all afternoon.  And I mean that in the most awesome way possible.

Anyhow, I am still alive.  I have quite a few picture-heavy posts to catch up on.  Aside from those stories, not much is new.  Chris is getting all A's again this semester, so he's happy.  I know lots of people still assume I live on the beach and have exotic adventures on a daily basis, but I can assure you life is much more boring than you think.

Oh, but here's a fun fact - today is our six month anniversary on the island!  Sometimes it feels like we just arrived yesterday.  Six months down, ten months to go.