25 October 2011

Two weekends ago, Chris and I went to Pagua Bay.  Hooray for scenic pictures!


I guess I could have posted about this sooner, but I've been busy doing absolutely nothing of importance.

Pagua Bay is where a river meets the Atlantic Ocean.  The river is freezing, and the ocean is slightly less freezing.  Consequently I spent most of the day sunning.


Sometimes you can go tubing down the river.  That was actually the intended purpose of the trip, but it had recently been too stormy and I think the river was blocked by a fallen tree or something like that.  So maybe I will get to go tubing later, before we leave the island.

Chris spent a lot of time searching for coconuts and opening them with rocks and other all-natural tools.


Also, we were dorking out because at that point the Tigers hadn't yet lost the ALCS series against the Rangers, and we were excited to go out and watch one of the games immediately after returning from the trip.



Why don't we have more friends?

After that we went to the Pagua Bay Bar & Grill for a late lunch.  Three words: best... view... ever.

 

This restaurant is five minutes from the airport, so if any of you readers ever manage to save up enough money for a Dominican vacation, we could probably go here.  That's right, your butt could be in that chair.  It's just a simple as buying the plane tickets!

I'm going to continue my shameless plugs for visitors until I actually get some, just so you know.


I forgot to take pictures of our food, but we got fresh fish tacos that came with a simple corn & black bean salsa.  It was pretty good.  But I can make better.

Actually, the other day Chris and I had a tiring/busy day and were going to grab a bite for dinner from the shacks or one of the restaurants near campus.  I asked him where he felt like going and he said "...can't you just make something for dinner?  I like your food better."  Lately I have been cooking up a storm with homemade everything... lasagna (including the sauce), cornbread, mac and cheese, stuffed turkey burgers, carnitas with pico... 

I have been recipe-hunting and jonesing for some Slows BBQ all day (particularly the mac and cheese) so I've got food on the brain.  I'm supposed to be posting about Pagua, so back to that. 


Other people went on this trip too, actually two whole vanloads of people, but I'm bad at remembering to take pictures aside from a few nature shots.  But here is one of me and my friend Olivia, as proof that I interact with more than just Chris.


She looks normal-sized and I look freakishly gigantic.  One day I will be in a flattering picture...

What else is new?  Not much happens in unemployed island life.  We did find a new place to live and started filling out some paperwork so we can move before Christmas, so that's exciting.  Our new place has comfortable couches, yay!  It's also newer and cleaner.  But the best part is that it is five minutes or less from pretty much everything... groceries, campus, the pool, the beach, you name it.  Plus it has a fabulous view from the porch.

Tomorrow I'm going on a hike that goes by seven waterfalls.  That's right... seven.  Well, seven official ones, and I guess there are sometimes other little ones depending on whether it has rained recently.  The hike is supposed to take several hours and I've heard it's "difficult," which is scary since my last workout was somewhere around 2008.  I warned Chris to assemble a search and rescue team if I'm not back by dinnertime.  Wish me luck!